Scott Pennington, Esq.
Scott Pennington divides his practice into two general areas: (1) Criminal Defense, and (2) Employment and Educational Equity. Over the years, Scott has successfully represented defendants in various criminal matters, ranging from first-degree indictable crimes to Disorderly Persons offenses in both the superior and municipal courts of New Jersey.
Prior to practicing law, Scott served for many years as a classroom teacher and was later promoted to the position of Affirmative Action/EEO Officer in the largest and one of the most diverse public school districts in New Jersey (44,000 students and 10,000 employees). His years of service in that position and his subsequent years in private practice have uniquely qualified him to provide equity consulting, training and compliance audits in the public school districts of New Jersey.
Before entering his career in public education, Scott served two terms in the United States Air Force and subsequently as an instructor of telecommunications for the phone company. In addition to his career endeavors, Scott has found time to participate in various non-profit activities, such as his current position on the advisory board of Women in Media – Newark and his former positions as Board Vice president of Jersey Cares, Vice President of the Tri-Cities Peoples Corporation, Board Member of the United Academy (a private school in Newark), Founding Director of the Newark affiliate of Kids Voting-NJ, Trustee on the Board of the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Essex County (where he has worshiped since he was a small child), and is a proud member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. (the oldest African-American college fraternity in America).
Along with two of his brothers, Eric and Daryl (both of whom are practicing attorneys), Scott is a member of the Pennington Organization, which is a non-profit concern that provides tuition assistance to aspiring attorneys via the Ashley J. Pennington Memorial Scholarship (named in memory of their late mother).
Scott has appeared on television, on the radio and in print, discussing various topics, including volunteerism, technology in education and politics. Scott had a brief stint as the host of the local radio talk-show “Inside Essex County”, which covered local political issues. One of Scott’s most notable media exposures was his participation in a televised interview of former Senator Jon S. Corzine and Congressman Bob Franks as they competed for a seat in the U.S. Senate. Shortly thereafter, another of Scott’s memorable experiences was when he appeared in a televised discussion with former New Jersey Commissioner of Labor (and later Assistant U.S. Secretary of Labor), Raymond Bramucci.
Scott has successfully represented countless defendants in very serious matters, including: Assault, Drugs, Attempted Murder, Gun Possession, Extortion, Counterfeiting, Theft, Prostitution, etc., and has the distinction of recently achieving a record of more than twenty DWI/DUI dismissals in various courts throughout New Jersey; all during a short 18-month window.
Notwithstanding his professional endeavors, Scott’s proudest accomplishment involves the raising of his two children, Brad and Ashley, as a single-parent. Ashley is a graduate of Rutgers University and Brad is a member of the Rutgers Law School class of 2016 (making Brad a soon-to-be fifth-generation lawyer, after his great-great grandfather, who completed Howard Law School in 1918).
Areas of Practice
- Criminal and White Collar
- Education Law
- Labor & Employment
Certified Legal Specialties
- Permanent Teaching Certificate, New Jersey State Department of Education
- Equal Employment Opportunity Law, Certificate, Center for Management Studies, Rutgers University – Piscataway
- Employment Law, Certificate, Center for Management Studies, Rutgers University – Piscataway
- New Jersey, 2001
- S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2001
- Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- D. – 1999
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
- S. – 1986
- Honors: University Honors
- Major: Education
- Rutgers Graduate School
- A. – 1995
- Issues of employment and educational equity (Harassment, Bullying & Intimidation, Sexual Harassment, etc.), Superintendents of public school districts throughout New Jersey
- Seminars on Criminal Defense, Driving While Intoxicated and Expungement of Criminal Records
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a 2006 “Rising Star”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Local Government Law Committee, Essex County Bar Association, Former Chair
- Garden State Bar Association, Former Trustee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Municipal Court Practice, Former Member
- District VB, Attorney Ethics Committee, Former Member
- J. Department of Education Committee on Cross Content Curriculum Standards, Former Member
- J. Association of Affirmative Action Officers, Former Member